My current home doesn't have a verandah but I'd like it to! A long porch surrounding the entire house. With a porch swing, potted blueberry plants, and a long strong dog laying at my feet. The sweet smell of lrosemary and freshly-turned soil wafting across my yard. The chickens clucking contentedly as they scratch for goodies in the fertile dirt. Knowing we have a full root cellar, trees in the orchard about to drop their bounty, and soup made all from hand-picked harvests bubbling in the crockpot. Heaven.

Please move with me over to my current blog, ... thank you!


Woke up yesterday to light snow falling. Fell all day. Lots of wind, lots of fog, and just light snow. My kid and I went into the garage in the early afternoon to get it ready for a garage sale on Saturday. Moved lots of boxes. When we decided to take a break an hour later, came back into the house, and I looked out of the kitchen window. There was about 2 inches of heavy wet snow on the ground! Huh? In an hour?

The lights were also flickering. Uh oh. I had JUST THIS PAST MONDAY moved the firewood from the garage outside! I put on my boots and heavy coat and got 4 pieces into the garage to dry off, then went and closed a chicken coop ... slipped and fell twice doing so. Cut hands and knees. PAIN! Unbundled, cleaned up the blood, then got the house ready for a power outage. Water to drink (we have a well, but an electric pump). Fireplace with the one dry log I found plus kindling. Beds cleared off and covered with extra blankets. Inside animals cared for.

Then we had a quick snack of turkey meat and fruit. By the time we'd eaten and bundled up again, we had about 4 inches of heavy wet snow on the ground. Fed and watered all of the outside critters: chicks, chickens and goats. ALL of them are mad at us for making it cold and wet again! Tried to move the snow off the tarped kennels so it wouldn't bust the tarps but at 6' tall, it was nearly impossible. Did successfully do the new kennels where the newest chicks (2 months old) were (only with the help of the Kid).

Came in, unbundled, got warm clothes on, dried my hair (hey, YOU try keeping a hood on while the wind/snow is ripping it off!). Cuddled under a blanket while we read a book for 20 minutes. Then, since we were both sniffling and coughing, turned on the heat (from the a/c I'd turned on last weekend!), took cold medicine and went to bed.

Another 2 inches came down during the night so we now have a total of 6+ inches of heavy wet snow on the ground, with more falling even now. We didn't get this much heavy snow during the winter!

I can't see my goats until I go outside and rattle the feed bucket or open the door where the hay is stored. Then they peek out of their dog-houses to see if I really have food. Poor things. I wonder how my pregnant does are doing? One is supposed to kid any day ... since I haven't checked yet this morning, wonder if she had her kids during the night? Won't know till I go out with feed.

The squash and strawberry plants I'd moved outside last week are now covered in 6-8 inches of snow. Quite sure I'm gonna need to start more squash plants, and buy more strawberries. Oh well.

As to whether I'm gonna have that garage sale this Saturday ... gonna have to think on that one. I can't get to the workshop where I'd stored the things I'd decided needed to be sold. It's snowed in! And will people from Denver even be able to drive out here? I understand they are getting mostly rain but starting in Parker .. they'll hit snow. Right? Six inches (plus) is NO WAY gonna completely melt by Saturday morning.







1 comment:

Lanie Painie said...

Holy Toledo, I'll stop complaining about our weather now. Hang in there Vee, and take care of yourselves!