My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

MUSICAL CHAIRS, ER, CHICKENS

Moved some chickens around this morning. The 5 that are 12 weeks old are now living in the chicken coop we put in the goat pen. Early, the first to hatch in that batch, is walking funny. Thought his blue band was too tight but there was plenty of moving space. Hoping he just jumped weird when he got off the roost this morning. And we're pretty sure he's a he. He's one of the ones we're keeping.

I'm a tad concerned about that space tho. I keep finding holes in the ground. About 2 inches diameter. Fill them in and another pops up a foot or so away. Hoping it's just a mouse and not a predator like a fox or something. Any ideas what it could be?

Last weekend we moved the bantam eggers and silkies outside in one new pen, and the 6-week old group into the other new pen. We kept out one of the 6-week-olds because the others had been picking on it and lost a lot of feathers. We're keeping that one inside until it re-feathers out and/or after the snow is done (more expected tomorrow thru weekend). We have a 2-week-old gold star with it to keep it company.

We kept two of the bantams in the garage: oddball (ob - crossed beak) and butt butt (bb - don't ask). They are alone in the garage until I get the other brooder coop cleaned out and ready for part of the in-the-house group large group. So my kid had just finished on the computer for the day when he heard a tapping coming from the garage. He opened the door, and there the two bantams were, out of the brooder coop and knocking on the door. Yes, you read that right.

He hollers. "MOM! The chickens are out!".

Well, I thought he was talking about the outdoor chickens. I'd already closed up everything for the night. Fed and watered. Hay to the goats. You know, evening chores.

I threw on my clothes to go outside but as I get down the hall, I see the kid is in the kitchen, with the garage door open. I get in there, look where he's looking. OB and butt-butt are just sitting on the door step. I reach down and easily pick them up. Cuddling them, I look into the brooder, and notice they'd spilled their food. All they wanted, when they decided to "break out" was more food! And even tho they hadn't been in the garage but a few days, they knew that which door led to food and water and humans.

Smart chickens, huh? Too bad we're selling them.

Anybody want them?

Butt-butt is a rooster and is very protective of Oddball. We had to separate them because BB was so protective that he was chasing everyone who even look at OB wrong! These two will make a great pair for anyone who wants bantam easter eggers. OB, with the crossed beak, needs a deep waterer and a deep feeder but other than that, is just a normal chicken. Buyer can decide to try to cut the beak back, but we're not going to do it. Should have no problems laying eggs (little creamy white-colored eggs).

I'll try to take pictures when I can.

No comments: