My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

EGGS, CHICKS, AND GOAT BABIES

So much to write about, I'm not sure where to begin!

Chickens first.

Moved the 20 babies (9 silkies and 11 eggers .. all bantams) into the brooder coop I made yesterday. Located in the garage, I made it out of 1 box bottom and 2 box tops from boxes that had 6x10 dog kennels we use for chicken coops. Took me 5 hours of hard work, and a lot of duct tape and zip ties, but it's done and sturdy and the happy home of 20 3-week-old bantam chicks.

Also, got 10 eggs out of 10 girls today! Woohoo! First ever! If you don't have chickens, you have no clue how amazing it is that everyone on your chicken payroll produced. As to the boys, well, they have done a good job keeping the girls safe and protected, and have fertilized eggs!

Yes, we have eggs being incubated now. They should start to hatch tomorrow or Friday. Woohoo!4 black australorp eggs fertilized by Warf (a b.a. no longer with us)
5 easter egger eggs fertilized by Humphrey (an ameraucana)
1 easter egger egg fertilized by Lenny (an egger)

Goats Now.

Just noticed one of my nigerian dwarf goats is pregnant. ARGH! Didn't look like it a few days ago, but suddenly, as I was giving her a good scratch this evening, there she is, all puffed out around the middle. I did a little calculating for when she was with the first buck, and if I figured it right and IF he's the one who did the deed, she should be kidding this Friday. FRIDAY! I'm not ready! I don't have the kidding pen ready! Or the vitamins! Or the daggone gloves! What else do I need?

Then I take a closer look at our one-year-old nigerian dwarf and daggone, she looks a tad bit bigger too! But she wasn't with a buck until the end of December so... whew... we have time.

Planning Time

First thing tomorrow, after chores, I have to run to Wal-Mart because I need more potting soil. I have young tomato and eggplant and squash seedlings that need repotting. And soon.

Then I hope to be picking up chicks from the feed store. IF they come in like expected. Yes, you read right. Like the 37 chickens we have right now (babies and adults) aren't enough. I'm expecting to pick up another 30-35.

Run home get them all settled. Check on everyone else. Then start mucking the goat pen and getting the kidding kennel ready. Gotta put another tarp over it (expecting rain/snow tomorrow afternoon/Friday morning). Clean hay on the ground and more in the "hayrack" (milk crate). Put in a bucket of water and a feed dish. Put in the extra-large dog kennel that the goat likes to nap in. Towels! We need towels!

That should have the goat's kidding kennel ready. Then I'll just start to watch her. IF ANYONE KNOWS THE SIGNS OF KIDDING STARTING, please let me know!

Guess that's it for now.

No comments: