My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

OUR FIRST 2011 HARVEST

Was out watering the garden yesterday. Hadn't had rain in about 2 days and even tho it had rained for 10 days straight before then, last night it was dry as a bone. So for out the hose, filled up the chicken pens' waterers and goat water, then started in on the garden. Was very surprised when I looked down and found blue blueberries staring up at me.  Beautiful rich-blue berries, ready for picking.  Still there even tho we have lots of chickens and lots of wild birds (who stole our ripe strawberries!).

So I picked them. Just about 20 but it was enough for a dinner snack for my Kid and I.  Delicious. Sweet and a bit tart. Juicy.  Totally worth it.  Tell you ... if we need to move from here, I'm soooo digging up and taking these bushes with me!

The summer squash and bush cucumbers are finally growing. It took all of those days of rain for things to finally get going. We've had 2 (or is it 3) days of very hot and dry weather so just about everything I planted is going through a growth spurt. I was really late in getting things going so it's doubtful I'll harvest any corn or winter squash or melons before the first frost; that's disappointing. But we finally have a tomato that's turning red, and a bell pepper is about 2 inches long.

We have 4 mini egger chickens who have started laying eggs. Woohoo! 3 blue and 1 green. Love it. Then one of our chickens we hatched from our own eggs this past February laid her first egg yesterday .. it was blue!  I do think that one of my chickens got eaten night before last. Found a pile of feathers outside of their new pen. Hope I'm wrong. Haven't looked this morning; kinda afraid. Obviously have more securing to do with the new pen, especially around the bottom. Would hate to lose these chickens that I've spent so much time, money and energy on.

BUT Lola is our newest mother hen. Out of the 8 eggs she started sitting on 32 days ago, she hatched 6. One we threw out and the other we can't find (probably a mouse or chipmunk or something ... I did find a tiny bit of yolk in the nest box). The 6 chicks are adorable: mostly brown with a little tinge of burnt sienna (red) in them. I'll try to take pictures soon.

If it wasn't for the constant family arguments, the heat, the flies, and the lack of money and support, I'd love this life!

No comments: