My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

BUSY BUSY WITH MORE GOAT BABIES!

We're incredibly busy ... two goat babies born on Friday (already posted about them ... both girls.) They are doing ok but seem really really thin. I don't think they are eating enough but when they do, it's on only one side of the udder. Mama CC is starting to look a little lopsided so Hubby and I are milking her (on the bigger side) at night. She hates that but ... too bad!

Do you think they are too skinny?

Hubby brought home the processed chickens and stuck them in the freezer. Hated to do it but ... gonna learn how to deal with the emotions of eating a pet. We included a 3 month old black australorp in the group because I was curious if it was an eatable size yet. It's the size of a large cornish game hen so .. it would do for our little family of 3.

Anyhoo, because of the goat babies, our weekend was very entertaining! Loved watching the goat babies bounce around. Then, Mama CC and our wether, Hawkey, started butting heads. Blood was drawn. No idea what Hawkey said to Mama CC but it ticked her off so good she even ignored her babies and broke down a gate to get to him.

So ... tonight, Hubby and I are building a very quick buck pen. Need to separate the buck from the girls anyway because they go into heat shortly after giving birth. And we don't want more goat babies in 5 months. That's like a woman getting pregnant 2 days after giving birth, not giving her body time to recover. So .. tonight will be very busy. Hope to have the two boys in their new pen by nightfall.

MEANWHILE, I was late getting out to the pen this morning. As usual. Walking down our little hill and hear baby bleating but ... seemed a little different. I open the pen and walk to where I had gated up the girls for the night ... two more babies!  One girl, one boy. Both are fat little things. And for a first time mom, Honey did an excellent job!

I'm so proud of my girls. Both are nigerian dwarf goats, mated to Peter who is an alpine/nubian mix. They have a great dairy line.

Realized I never posted pix of our mama hen who hatched 3 eggs out of 8 on May 28 ... so here she is. Can you spot the one yellow chick and the two black chicks?

She's a great mom ... I let her out to the gen pop and had to put her back in quick because she started attacking every hen she saw! Hackles raised, squawking and screaming "get away from my babies"! Yeah, we're keeping this hen.


And to the right is a pic of my kid. The lady who runs the foundation that will give us $2,500 for the balance of what the service dog will cost... she needed the pic to help with the fundraising. Thought you'd like to see him too.

Ain't he cute?!?!

(Can you see his little mustache? So adorable!)

No comments: