My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Chick Needs Help

I have a 6-day old chick who just isn't as perky as the rest. Here's a pic of her with her hatch-mates last night. She's in the back left corner.

BooBoo (her name) doesn't want to drink much, eats a little but for the most part, just stands (or lays) there, panting. She has a very strong loud heartbeat (put my ear to her little body) and Hubby thought he heard a click in her breathing.

I've separated her from the other 5 chicks (they were picking on her). She's in a small plastic shoe-box tub with food and water. I put a little bit of sugar in the water. The tub has a heating pad underneath (set on medium) and the whole set up is on my bed so I can watch her tonight.

Here's a video.


Anybody got a clue what I should do?

=================

Update Feb 14 2011, 9:19 a.m.: Consensus at backyardchickens.com is that my Boo has a heart defect. I stayed up with her most of the night, dipping her beak in water, cuddling, checking, etc. She's struggling but yep, she's still alive. What a fighter.

1 comment:

DayPhoto said...

Get Baby vitimns quick...It maybe too late by now. Give a couple of drops every two hours.

Linda