My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Silkie chickens and more quail coming

The person I was going to get my silkie hen from had an incident last weekend. A big animal, for the second time, pushed a hole through her double layer of poultry netting and ate most of her chickens ... all kinds, including the silkie. She thinks it was her new neighbor's dog.

So... she placed another order with McMurray Hatchery, and called to ask if I wanted to piggy-back on there.

Hubby and I discussed it.

We need a rooster for our black australorps and a rooster for our easter eggers. We have 5 each of those breeds, all born Apr 29 so about 6 weeks old, and we want to separate and breed true.

Plus we want silkies to hatch our quail eggs and chicken eggs so..

Yes, we're piggy-backing on her order.
-1 male black australorp
-1 male araucana
-5 straight run buff silkies
-5 straight run blue silkies

Hope we get at least 1 buff silkie rooster and 1 blue silkie rooster. I sure do love my chickens, and really like taking care of them as babies.

Expecting July 6-8. Not far from now.

= = = =

The quail eggs were supposed to hatch last week, but the incubator was bull-yuck. No way to regulate temperature except by checking it regularly (like... hourly) and either turning on the overhead fan to cool it down, and wrapping it in various lengths and thicknesses with aluminum foil.

Waste of money. DON'T buy the chickbator!

We have 10 straight-run day-old quail coming next week. The Kid really loves those eggs, and they are easy to sell, so we're going to breed them to increase our flock, and probably infuse new blood every couple of months till we have 30 or 40 laying hens. And now Pecka is laying again so yippee!!

= = = =

Came home from errands just now to find one of our chick babies (pullet) had escaped! Brownie was just sitting on top of the hay that's on top of the coop, just looking at me. I was expecting it because she'd regularly look for a way out. It only took a few minutes to catch her, I carressed her and made kissy noises, and put her back in with her friends.

Yep, they're ready for the outdoor coop. Probably should have done that a couple of weeks ago.

Fun fun!

1 comment:

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

Haha!! We have a hen named Brownie, too!

We have 2 brooders full of chicks. They're now.... About 3 weeks. When I went to pick up my order, I scored 2 FREE silkies. They're whites. Of course, they made up up for the duckling we lost & we've also lost a poult.

As for the person who has animals getting into her chicken wire, let her know hardware cloth is MUCH more durable.