My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Quail change snd raspberries

Got a call yesterday from where we're getting our 10 coturnix quail. It was yet another bad batch, and had to completely cancel the order this time. Did I want bobwhite quail instead?

I don't know anything about them, but didn't know about coturnix before we got them! So I said yes, we'll take 10 day-old bobwhite quail. Can't be too different, right?

Got me thinking ... our female quail stopped laying for a while. Places all over are having troubles filling quail orders. Anybody else out there having quail troubles this year?

= = = =

Raspberries: We have 4 fall gold (yellow) raspberries and 9 heritage red raspberries in addition to 9 kiowa blackberries to plant this weekend. Can they be planted somewhat close to each other? I want to line our backyard fence with berries: yellow raspberry on a short side, red raspberry on part of the long side and blackberries on the rest of the long side. Blueberries and 1 jostaberry will go inside the fenced yard. The fenced yard is about 1/10 of an acre. Any problem with berry cross pollination?

I do know that raspberries don't like wet feet so we're making kinda raised beds for them. Won't need to trellis this year's planting because I'm using the fence as such. And I know about pruning.

Next year we'll add more and plant them in rows in the front yard. I dearly love fresh berries.

= = = =

Updated 1:44 p.m.: Just had someone evaluate our supposed-milking doe from Patricia De-Vreese Crowley at Crowley Manor Farms in Conifer, Colorado (near Denver). Call the goat CM2. CM2's health was (allegedly) neglected, with her back hooves (allegedly) not being trimmed. The back ones were so bad that they were curling under. The front hooves weren't too much better (CM2 paws the ground a lot so that keeps them a little bit in check).

Noticed the allegedly? Want to be legal here.

Like I said before... I learn every day more about how Patricia allegedly treated (at least) CM2.

Her Nigerian Dwarf goat Sundance (with buck Nitro Max) just kidded today. Named "Bella Blue" and "Midnight Star". Just ... be aware.

Unbelievable.

No comments: