My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Douglas Fir, Holly and Fruit Trees

We got a LOT planted today, but nowhere near what we have still to do. Very sunny, with high winds. Still ... this is what we got done:

-10 Holly Bushes (8 female, 2 male)
-10 douglas fir treelings
-1 weeping willow whip
-1 yellow delicious apple
-1 red delicious apple
-1 elberta peach
-1 kieffer pear
-1 north star cherry
-1 nectarine
-2 5-in-1 pear

We also got really really burnt. All three of us ... red shoulders, arms and necks. Even on our faces. Gotta find our hats.

It's a little after 8 p.m. but we gave up around 4 ... we feel like we should have gotten more done, but we're digging into a little sand on top of a LOT of clay, none of which has ever been used except to grow grass and probably was grazing ground for buffalo a long time ago.

I received my order from Gardeners' Choice. Well, I should say, I kinda did. I ordered a total of 14 fruit trees, and received only 3... ALL of which are broken in two. They also were not labeled... just spray-painted, but with no color-coding in the paperwork. Were not packed well at all.... just a long cardboard box with very little packing. I called them, and after arguing a LOT (they thought I was lying about not receiving everything), they decided to resend the broken trees, and a couple from my original order. The rest... well, tough luck. No longer in stock! Hubby and I discussed, and I researched the company. Check out: http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/928/ ... we decided to completely cancel the order. I just sent them an e-mail saying that we want to cancel, and hopefully they will receive and read it on Monday before they "re-ship". Just a suggestion... do NOT order from Gardeners' Choice.

Sure hope they refund all of my money. Immediately. If they don't, I'll call their affiliate Spring River Nursery at 269-621-2259 and if that still doesn't help, I'll contact Michigan's BBB. Might even contact the Attorney General:

Mike Cox (517-241-3771)
Attorney General
Consumer Protectioin Division
PO Box 30213
Lansing, MI 48909

http://www.michigan.gov/ag

Just curious ... but with all of the complaints on the above mentioned website, why is their rating at the Michigan's Better Business Bureau an A+? I've never looked up a company before that has had so many complaints ... check out: http://westernmichigan.app.bbb.org/complaint_details/15001226?clean

Burgess seems to be more reliable, received everything and in good planting order. Hope they grow! Maybe I'll just go back to Starks Brothers ... they don't have everything I want but most it ... I think I'll use them for what they DO have that I still need ... blackberries, etc.

On the chicken note... we finally offered pasta (spaghetti) to Henny Penny, our laying hen. She likes it but not as much as I had heard about. She preferred the greens we offered at the same time.

The baby chicks? That's another story. Once they figured out the things we were offering to them was food (the pasta), they started to nearly attack each other for bits and pieces. Major-time hyper. One kept trying to leave the coop with her noodle so she could eat it in peace.

Two more days of Hubby's vacay. Still lots lots lots more to do. Oh, and I did mention that we need to redo the goat house? Completely? Soooo not looking forward to that.

Have a great evening, all. And please, plant a nut or fruit tree today. Well, tomorrow.

No comments: