My current home doesn't have a verandah but I'd like it to! A long porch surrounding the entire house. With a porch swing, potted blueberry plants, and a long strong dog laying at my feet. The sweet smell of lrosemary and freshly-turned soil wafting across my yard. The chickens clucking contentedly as they scratch for goodies in the fertile dirt. Knowing we have a full root cellar, trees in the orchard about to drop their bounty, and soup made all from hand-picked harvests bubbling in the crockpot. Heaven.

Please move with me over to my current blog, ... thank you!

All Moved In. Whew!

Finally, here it is Saturday evening and we finally have our phone, modem and internet hooked up. We did the biggest move on Wednesday with 2 guys I found to do the packing and moving with a hired U-Haul (uggh) and our 5x8 trailer. They did a great job, except in their haste to pack, well, I can't find the onions or potatoes!

We spent our first night here on Wednesday, and didn't sleep well that night. Very dark out here in the country, and extremely quiet. Every once in a while we could hear the turkeys next door, or my Kid's radio when it went to a loud commercial. Then at 2:30 a.m., a shower radio went off so we dug into the boxes to find it and take out the batteries. Up by 3:45 for Hubby to take his shower, then he realized we still had another hour before we needed to leave, so we went back to bed for 30 minutes. Got the Kid up, grabbed breakfast and headed into Denver to take Hubby to work.

The Kid and I went over to the apartment to meet those same 2 guys. We moved (using our 5x8 trailer) most of the rest of the stuff, mostly from the garage like plants and planks of wood. We were ready for our second trip to the house by the time Hubby got off from work so we headed back to the house. Unloaded, paid the guys and sent them on their way. Unhooked the trailer and visited a feed store to pick up some food for our rabbit. Visited a local steak house (local: 30 minutes from house!). Crashed again. No TV. No internet. Peace and quiet and darkness.

Hubby went into work on Friday by himself while the Kid and I slept in. A whopping 8:45 a.m. Got ready for the day, and went into town since the Kid was out of goat yogurt, and we needed a few other things. Home and I crashed until Hubby got home quite late (stopped by apartment to do something first). Crashed again. No TV. No internet. Slept much better this time although I'm in severe pain.

That brings us to today. Up by around 8:30 again. Ate, took care of the critters (quail and rabbit) and headed to the apartment .... that hour long drive. We met mom-in-law, ate brunch with her, then spent the next 4 hours cleaning that apartment from top to bottom. That refrigerator has never been this clean! We took lots of pictures with the Kid holding up today's newspaper, in various poses throughout the apartment. After each pic, I looked at it and glad I did. Found a box of rice-mac-and-cheese on a top shelf that would have been left behind. Oh no!

Now we're home. After unloaded the car for one last time, I took some pain killers and rested while Hubby found the box with the modem and phone, and hooked them up. Yahoo! Internet! Tomorrow, maybe we'll have TV too. Plus, we want to go to town (very small .... one street-light and a Wal-Mart) and check out a farm store that's having a sale on fencing.

Warning: If someone needs to be close to convenient stores, fast food franchises, or a grocery store, country living is NOT for you. Find some land closer to the city, but check livestock regulations first. See... I'm pretty much a hermit and can be good not being around lots of people or going to a store for a week or two or 6 at a time.

1 comment:

fullfreezer said...

Welcome Home!!!!