My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Day Two in new home

Boy I'm tired. The alarm went off at 6:30 so that we could get up, eat breakfast, load up my car and be gone by 7:30. We needed to be at the house by 8:30 to prepare for the seller's "buddy" at 9:00. We were there. He never showed. And since I had to drive my very old car which did NOT enjoy the drive, we couldn't take more than 2 boxes of food in the car, and no trailer. We arranged food in the pantry, emptied my car's trunk, and sat in the living room to enjoy the view. And dagnabit, I just realized, I should have taken a picture. Maybe tomorrow.

So this "buddy" has lost his window of opportunity to grab the drywall that the seller promised. It's ok. The seller also left behind a big pile of trash that we're going to have to pay to have removed, and that empty propane tank. We'll find a use for the drywall... believe me!

We still haven't changed the locks so the electric is disabled for the garages (for the keypad and automatic garage door openers). Hubby bought the correct lock replacements today (hopefully) and also some slide-bolts that can only be operated from inside. Those go up tomorrow.

On our way tomorrow, we're picking up mom-in-law since she hasn't seen the place. Hubby will work on the lock situation while I give her the tour (including the alpacas, chickens and goats at our neighbors) and put away more boxes of food and hopefully some dishes.

Did I mention that the neighbor with the goats let me hold one yesterday? How soft and sweet. I still can't get the goat snot off my sunglasses tho! And I helped feed it a bottle! We won't bottle feed ours but to each his own. They had a flock of leghorn chickens and couldn't satisfy their egg orders fast enough so upped it to 100 hens. Then the neighborhood foxes got 10 in one night, so they bought 2 dogs and now the foxes only get one every few days when a hen flies over the fence and escapes. They also have turkeys and guinea fowl. It's a mom and son operation. Now if I could just remember their names!

Speaking of animals, while Hubby and I were enjoying the view of the mountains from our living room, we heard this incredible braying. That verb - braying - gives you a clue, right? Across the street, next to the house with the alpacas, they have quite a managerie of critters... ducks, geese, donkeys, goats, and the required dogs. (There are lots of foxes and coyote in the area.) Can't wait to meet them! The neighbors, not the foxes and coyote!

Guess that's it for now.

1 comment:

Judy T said...

I'm glad things are starting to look up. You will have so much fun settling in. But it is so much work. We're still in the settling in stage 6 months later! But I sleep well at night.
Judy