My current home doesn't have a verandah but I'd like it to! A long porch surrounding the entire house. With a porch swing, potted blueberry plants, and a long strong dog laying at my feet. The sweet smell of lrosemary and freshly-turned soil wafting across my yard. The chickens clucking contentedly as they scratch for goodies in the fertile dirt. Knowing we have a full root cellar, trees in the orchard about to drop their bounty, and soup made all from hand-picked harvests bubbling in the crockpot. Heaven.

Please move with me over to my current blog, ... thank you!

We got the house!

Remember the 2 acre house we loved on sight and put an offer on? The short sale (because the sellers/owners haven't been paying their mortgage payment)?

Late yesterday I got a call from our agent, saying we got the house. Yippee! Problem, tho. Argh! The bank's acceptance fax was dated Jan 20 and was received by the seller's agent the same day. That date was supposed to "start the clock" for all of our deadline dates, like the inspection, request for documents, etc. Unfortunately, the seller's agent SAT on that fax until late yesterday, the 25th. WHY!?!? We're ticked and clueless. Because that jerk sat on the fax, we have already missed several deadline dates.

Part of the acceptance letter included several requirements, including that the seller's bank requires the closing to be on or before February 26. We had a closing date of Feb 19. Wonder what it will actually be?

= = = =

... I had more to write about that but was interrupted from typing when I got an e-mail from our agent. It appears that the sellers don't want to leave until the end of March. Huh? We need clarification... do they want to wait until March to close, even tho that's against the bank's wishes and they haven't paid a mortgage payment in quite a while, or do they want to close on Feb 26 and live there free until the end of March? Under our dime, while we pay apt rent and mortgage, two utilities, an extra month of storage units and etc? Either way, no way. Agent is contacting them to get this clarified and to let them know in no uncertain terms that we will close before Feb 26. And we want it in writing.

If they had asked for additional time before they accepted the contract and IF their bank had agreed to it, we might have agreed to another week or two. But now, Hubby and I are concerned that they'll destroy the house if they are allowed to stay even one minute past closing. We've decided that we'll do our walk-through inspection on our way to closing, get the keys, and immediately go to the property and squat while Hubby changes all the locks.

Paranoia doesn't fit me but sometimes, it pays to be diligent.

= = = = =

I've been up since 5:30 and haven't eaten yet. My nauseous tummy is growling so I need to feed it before I get another call to deal with. Plus trying to get the Kid to understand math. Cooking. Critter care (one of our two remaining quail is laying 1 egg every other day and our angora bunny has torn out a lot of her fiber!). Arranging whatever is needed to get this deal done. And not sleeping at night. Plus... craving a good ole Fuddrucker's cheeseburger.

I started writing this e-mail an hour or two ago. It's now 10:46 a.m. Yep, time to eat. I'll write more when I know more.


Survival Chic said...

Love your adventure... would you like to exchang blog links..?

Survival Chic

link is

fullfreezer said...

Oh, I hate the offer, counter offer part of all this. We just declined an offer on our house. There was something much too fishy about it. They first offered REALLY low (not even the assessed value!) with a reasonable closing date. We counter offered with a higher price which they accepted but then wanted to wait to close until May!!! I don't think so. The good news for us is that we've now got 4 showings booked between now and Friday. Yeah! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Melonie said...

Maybe they thought you would rent the house to them until March... weird tho that they wouldn't bring it up until so late in the game.

I hope everything works out okay in the end. I don't blame you for changing those locks the minute you can! :-)

Debbie said...

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't chasing you. I have always wanted to say that! Good Luck with the house and I too would be changing the locks. When we were in Vegas, people were leaving the water on and stopping up the drains and trashing the walls.

Oz Girl said...

Congrats on the house! :) But it looks like some headaches... there are always headaches to deal with in any home sale, but it looks like you may have more than your fair share here. Good luck!