My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Good Start to a Good Year

Pic to the right: Hubby and Son, Halloween 2008 - yes, we're big ole hippies so his costume wasn't such a stretch for us! Ain't my SuperKid cute! And yes, that's our chihuahua (now gone) dressed as a pumpkin!

= = = =
I'll start with last night. After our errands, we stopped at the nearby Village Inn for dinner. Geez, lots of drunks already on the road at 5 p.m.! Anyway, I'm proud to note that I order the steak and eggs breakfast, with hash browns and fruit instead of pancakes. Hot decaf tea. Yum! Then Hubby brought his slice of pecan pie home and he ate that with his dairy-free ice cream from the freezer while the Kid and I had a piece of gluten-free pecan pie (leftover from Christmas) and organic ice cream from the freezer. Delicious end to the day. Decided to not drink any champagne or other alcoholic drink because of all of the meds I'm on. Not that we're much on drinking anyway.

Hubby and I cuddled up in the bed and watched TV and read while the Kid watched movies on his computer. Until 5 minutes till midnight. Then we watched the ball drop, took our meds, and passed out... all of us!

I was up early this morning, had 3 pieces of raisin toast (GF), took my meds, and finished reading "Under the Dome" by Stephen King. I won't spoil the ending but daggone!!! Excellent read, King.

Afterwards, I made some detox herbal tea and crawled back in bed to watch TV on mute. I do that a lot. I hate commercials, plus I didn't want to wake up Hubby. Finally, he and the Kid got up around 11. Okay, maybe later. By the time we did some talking (we have business plans for 2010, and HAD to discuss our possible house again), I started lunch. I had found some organic grass-fed beef hot dogs at the health food store the other day, so those in addition to gluten-free hot dog buns, we had a right tasty lunch. Delicious dogs! The Kid had 2, as did I. Plus I had an apple. Hubby had 1 of these dogs on a hamburger bun, then I cooked him up a package of regular hot dogs and he had 3 more of those.

Meanwhile, I'm very proud of me staying with my health plan.

= = = =

On a separate note, I had a thought about self-reliant hygiene last night. Was in the shower and got the sudden urge to shave my legs. Now, I don't do this very often. Not just because I'm fat and my big ole belly makes it difficult, but I just hate shaving. This was the longest I'd gone without shaving - guess it had been about 8-9 months. Oh my gosh! When I got done, I looked like I had scraped all the skin off my legs, there was a lot of blood. It took about 8 tissues to finally get the bleeding stopped. I had to leave 2 on when we left to run errands and to eat last night. The tissues were stuck on so.... well, you get the picture. As I was trying to go back to sleep this morning, I got to thinking: why do women shave? I know I know... it makes us look all feminine and smooth and sexy, but really?

Found this website: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/625/who-decided-women-should-shave-their-legs-and-underarms - underarm hair shaving started due to a marketing campaign in 1915. Before then, people might have cared but didn't do anything about it. Shame on you, Harper's Bazaar! It doesn't give a year, but Betty Grable's pinup poster with smooth legs might have been the start of our current female leg torture.

The point is... if I had to do without shaving for a long period of time, or ever again, at all, I could and would do so. It's been LESS THAN 100 years since we started, and female humans have had hair for a whole lot longer than that. According to wikipedia, It has been suggested that the hair itself acts with a natural "anti-friction" quality between the upper arm and the thorax. More importantly, armpit hair naturally wicks moisture away from the skin, which aids in keeping the skin dry enough to prevent colonization by odor-producing bacteria.

My Hubby, bless his heart, doesn't care if I shave anywhere. Not even the errant hair on my neck that gets about 3 inches long before I notice it and pull it. (OMG, did I just write that?) Although I'll need to shave before my underarm lump appointment next week, after that, I'm tucking all of my razors away until I absolutely HAVE to shave again... whether another lump appointment (please, god, no).

And that's MY take. Eliminate what's not needed. Don't want to shave. Don't have to shave. Not gonna.

= = = =

I like the Norwegian word: Velstand. Did I mention that Hubby is of Norwegian descent? We're working on learning recipes and traditions that we're afraid we might lose without writing them down. We have learned how to make aquavit (a VERY strong drink that I can't even sip but Hubby can - one bottle has lasted 3 years so far!) and how to make brown cheese from whey (which I haven't actually done yet).

My heritage is basically a mutt. Lots of European countries in there and a tiny bit Native American. I'll borrow my husband's ethnicity for now. And my Kid... he's a complete mutt too!

= = = =
Added at 6:16 P.M.: I did something today that I didn't give much thought to. Just did it. I googled the girl that I lived next to for many years, when I was growing up in Louisville, KY. Janet Kelly. She's been on my mind lately because I, well, I wasn't a very nice person growing up. I was bullied so I sometimes I took it out on Janet and a few others. I googled her and found her on Classmates.com so I joined and posted my own profile. Weird. Something I never gave any thought to, or had any ambition to post. So, I did it.

Posted a pic of my son and Hubby too (at the top) and this pic to the right is the Kid in Fall 2008 with our chihuahua on his lap and a stray we took care of that day before finding his family. Note the dying tomato plants by the front door! They gave and gave until we had a hard frost. Yummy yellow pear tomatoes.

By the way, I'd love to touch base with Janet, Susan Taylor, Donna Sheets, Sheila Stopher, Carrie Applebaum, and more. If I didn't mention you, high school buddies, it's just because my memory is quite, uh, ok, gone.

= = = =

Guess that's it for now. Have a wonderful Friday, and January 1, 2010.

No comments: