My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Beans take getting used to, and other diet changes

I've eaten a lot of beans over the last week or two... black turtle beans, white navy beans, cannellini white beans, split green peas, lentils... in several different ways. And boy howdy... my stomach is quite busy. Lots burbling on in there. Scraping me out.

I've been nauseous for the past 2 weeks. Almost constantly. It's probably the beans. I heard that eating beans and other legumes regularly takes time to get your body used to so that the effects aren't there. I'm still waiting. But I'm not giving up ... since I'm taking most meat out of my diet (for protein), that pretty much leaves certain grains, nuts, seeds, and legumes!

Meanwhile, I have white navy beans cooking in the crockpot. I soaked them last night with a bay leaf, changed the water this morning, and place in the crockpot. Later this afternoon, when they are all cooked and soft, I'm going to drain, mash, add some quinoa flour and seasonings, then fry like little bean cakes. The Kid isn't thrilled about this, but I hope I can get him to eat at least a couple. Probably have a better chance if I sweeten them up. Maybe I'll crush some dried mango and add that plus some stevia and a bit of cinnamon.

Within the next few weeks, I'm reducing (I hope!) my meat consumption to:
-tuna/egg salad once a week
-scrambled egg once a week
-organic dairy only
-no red meat or poultry (unless it's organic but since that's expensive...)

Since we're not eating the quail yet, and don't have our mini-homestead yet to have organic eggs, chickens, quail and goat-milk products, we'll have to make do with buying these. Argh. I hate to spend money.

Anyway... also during this same period, I'm increasing:
-cherries (dried)
-apricots (dried)
-raspberries (dried)
-peaches (dried)
-nuts, seeds (including sesame and flax)
-millet, gf oats
-tea

We have a lot of dried fruit here. Makes it more palatable. So I'll crush the dried fruit and mix with my gluten-free oats every morning. Snack on the nuts and seeds. Add the sesame and flax seeds to whatever beans I'm serving that night, drink decaf tea all day, and increase millet to 2-3 times a week instead of just once.

I'm thinking the key to changing my eating habits is just changing a little bit at a time. I took out the gluten products (wheat, rye, barley, and un-certified oats), which was the most difficult part. I still have to deal with my addiction to sugar, candy and other sweet things.

My weight loss stalled (probably because I haven't eliminated sweets yet), but taking out gluten starting a month ago really started changing my hormones... for the better. Gotta keep going!

Now... it's time to check on my homemade rice pudding and make some tuna salad! Yum!

No comments: