My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

GARDENING IS HOT WORK!

Finally got a chance to do a little gardening.  Here's what I did in the last few days:

-planted 4 blueberry bushes
-planted 6-7 strawberry plants
-planted 3 thorny black berry (marionberry) bushes
-planted 1 lakemont grape vine
-planted 1 yellow (Fall Gold) raspberry bush
-planted 6 tomatoes, 2 basil, 6 marigolds (Teen did, with direction)
-sowed 5 rows of corn and winter squash but have more to do
-sowed 4x3 area of mammoth sunflowers, melons and vining cucumbers

So so so very hot. Sweating like crazy. Drinking like crazy. I hate hot weather but know it's necessary for us to stock up on goodies to eat during the winter. Come on, berries!

Also ...
-played musical chickens to ease up my outside chores (3 pens instead of 5)
-played musical goats to get my two does pregnant again (1 pen instead of 2)
-moved a broody hen into the "maternity ward" with 8 eggs
-sold another baby goat (so sad)
-hung thicker curtains in Teen's room (very hot hot hot right now)
-dowloaded a computer virus so still working to get THAT fixed!
-prepared everyone for a huge thunderstorm that never materialized, dagnabit!
-started milking one of my goats ... yummy! too bad she kicks!

So much more to do.

Because of the heat, my hens have stopped laying. Bummer. And here I was just started back on my "getting healthy" plan which includes eating eggs every day. Have lots more seeds and little plants to get into the ground (or in containers). Lots of squash and cucumber seeds I sowed last week have already sprouted ... so exciting!

Working on my son's schoolwork for this coming year. Starts next week but I think we'll start slow to get back in the groove.

Doing well with raising money for my son's service dog but have a long way to go. Thinking we'll do a "getting healthy" cookbook, and something called "chicken poop bingo". Yeah, I need to do a page on this blog for the CPB.

Guess that's it for now.

Oh yeah, 2 of the blueberry bushes already have blueberries on them ... hopefully will be ready in a week or two. A few strawberries are almost ready to pick too. Gotta remember to cover them so the birds (and my chickens!) don't get them before we can pick them.

NOW that's it.

Have a wonderful day. Try to stay cool.

No comments: