My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

CHIPMUNK INVASION

Was looking out of my kid's new upstairs bedroom yesterday and saw what I thought was a rat or really large mouse in the goat pen. Right there, among the miniature goats and chicks. Creeped me out.

But just now, I was fixing my lunch and happened to look out of the back door. A chipmunk! Nosing around, looking for goodies my chickens might have overlooked. Sniffed. Stood up on its back legs. Looked around, and back down.

It was then that I realized it was probably a chipmunk I had seen in the goat pen.

Still, not good.

Chipmunks eat eggs and plants, seeds, seedlings, and so on. A pair of chipmunks can build a huge colony in no time at all, wiping out a garden and eating the chicken eggs. Personally, I'd been wondering why I was only getting about 6 eggs a day from my 9 girls.

Now I know.

Meanwhile, even tho it's supposed to rain much of this 3-day weekend, we'll hopefully finish putting up the garden fence, planting corn, sunflowers, millet, squash and a few other things, and might even have time to see a movie.

Oh, and when my broody hen took her morning constitutional today, I looked at her eggs. Today is day 20 (of 21 days). Two eggs were cracked, one partially open with a mature chick inside. I didn't touch because Broody Hen was raising her hackles, but I didn't see movement. Hoping they were hatching and just taking a rest. Hoping they were NOT dead. I'll check again in a little bit.

So ... might not be able to blog this weekend. Hoping to be busy with baby chicks and baby goats but... we'll see.

Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.

No comments: