My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

WE HAVE SPROUTS!

Thursday was such a long day with doc appointments and errands in town, so I didn't have time to care for my chicks properly or my soon-to-be-seedlings.

Chicks did fine. I had left plenty of food and water, and had put down fresh paper so they had a nice quiet day of growing and exploring without these human giants peeking at them.

The started peat pellets, however, didn't fare so well. I wasn't there to put the top on or move it off throughout the day, which they need at this point. And after my exhausting Thursday, I really didn't think about it until Friday morning.

So I checked them early Friday. Took off the tops. First thing I notice was the fuzz growing on the peat pellets. Oh, great, mold. Wonder if I need to re-start. Then I noticed green.... a couple of cucumber sprouts and some cabbage sprouts! What? Already! Woohoo! MOUTH IS WATERING!

I kept the tops off the containers and they are starting to look good. If I need to re-seed, I have plenty of time. No problem. Oh, and I also started some greens and radishes.

The chicks look great too! Today we'll re-band everyone, fix the brooder coop in the garage and move the bigger chicks there. Also need to pick up a load of hay. IF we have time, we'll get to work on the new coops for the adults but aren't gonna push it.

We're all tired!

No comments: