My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

EGGER CHICK PROBLEMS

My Kid noticed today that one of my egger chicks has a beak that doesn't close all the way. Actually, there's a very large gap. Looks like gasping for breath, but not. She seems content enough. Same body size as the others.

How did I not see it?

Separated her and a silkie chick into a plastic tub brooder coop with (vitamin) water and food. Then noticed another egger chick has a slight gap problem too, so added her to the tub brooder coop. Those three are now in my bedroom, with no heat lamp but they are comfy enough. Right in front of a western window so at present they have sun streaming in. I also have the tub on a small table that's right over a heat vent so when the heat kicks on, they'll get some added heat there.

So far I've been watching carefully from my vantage point and it looks like they are eating and drinking ok, but more than the silkie. Should be ok, but will take longer at the feeders and waterers.

However, in terms of my breeding project, I'll cull them. Can't be passing along a gapped beak to the new breed of chicken.

Still, if they turn out to be girls, they'll still lay eggs (hopefully colored) that we can eat or sell.

No comments: