My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Organizing Christmas

One of my goals for 2011 is to be more organized. Really... we moved here in March, and we still have about 300 boxes to go through and toss or unpack or repack with notes. I never did find the Christmas box that had our stockings in it for 2010 and I'm really wanting to find some of my favorite dishes, and clothes that fit!

That being said, I spent most of yesterday packing away the Christmas things that I **did** find, but this time in long green tubs, with plenty of room for when we find the missing Christmas items. I'm also making a note of what we did and bought for 2010 holidays, and my impression of the holiday season.

Why?

Because I want to remember how it was so I can make changes for following years, as needed. For this year, I liked how we did NOTHING for Christmas day. Yeah, on the eve before we visited in-laws and ate desserts (don't get me started!), but once we got home and got to bed (late), the next morning was quiet. Laid out the gifts for my 14 year old Kid, milked the goat, took care of the livestock, then came in, made coffee and went back to bed until the Kid got up. He opened gifts, we ate oatmeal with millet and apple spice for breakfast, then lit a fire. Quite cold. We watched Jim Carrey's Christmas Carol as we snacked and toasted our toes. The rest of the day was spent quietly playing card games (mostly Uno), watching TV and enjoying our day. Barely any arguments, which was amazing in itself.

Next year, I want to do something similar. And I want to REMEMBER to do something similar: a quiet day at home, watching a new movie and just enjoying being with family.

Oh year ... 2009 Christmas colors at my house was blue and silver. This year, 2010, our colors were red and gold on the tree, and red and white on the dining room table. I'm thinking 2011 will be green and gold, or green and silver. Which looks better together? I'll need to get some matching dishes but found this year's at the thrift store.... will do the same next year. Hmmm... I'm thinking that after I post this, I'll print it out and add to my notes.

So I've made up a notebook to keep in my filing cabinet that says "Holiday Folder". And for each holiday that we do anything for (or don't do!), I'm gonna write a note about what we did. Started with 2010 Halloween and included my kid's birthday and Thanksgiving. Now Christmas. Hopefully by the time we get to 2011 Halloween, I'll have complete notes and will remember what worked and what didn't.

Yep, working to organize myself.

You?

1 comment:

Call me Ishmael said...

You already sound waaaaay more organized than I am. Already planning for 2011 Christmas? Wow! Sounds like you had a relaxed and peaceful holiday....glad you enjoyed it. Happy 2011!