My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Eggplant Varieties

This past year, we grew black beauty eggplants (picked before they got big and bitter) and small round thai-green eggplant. Maybe I should tell you that I don't care for eggplant. But I keep hoping I can find one that doesn't remind me of my mother's horrible cooking when I was growing up!

So... looking for a decent non-bitter eggplant to grow and eat. Here's what we need from an eggplant:

- short growing season (90 days, but less is preferred)
- easy to grow in a container or square foot garden
- small and sweet (not bitter)
- prolific
- hardy for harsh winds/microbursts
- heirloom (non-gmo, and so we can save seeds to grow)

Thoughts? Comments?

2 comments:

Carla said...

Here in so. Calif. I grow Japanese eggplants. They are long and thinner than the regular plant. Try them sliced 1/4" lengthwise, sauteed w/sweet onion on an open faced sandwich with basil pesto.
I love eggplant this way.

Carla said...

You might also want to check out this website http://www.amishlandseeds.com/eggplant.htm for seeds regarding heirloom eggplant. She (he)lists some as being as being bitter, some as sweet. And several of the plants grow in a short period of time.
I'm assuming you start these under a grow light and set them out as plants. Even here in so. Cal it gives the plants a great start.