My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Started more seeds

I suddenly remembered that I hadn't started most of my herb seeds. Now it's June, and I barely have any herbs to plant outside. Wanted to grow soapwort, parsley, sage and so much more. Especially basil now that I've discovered pesto!

So yesterday I got out a long under-the-bed storage tub, filled it with small peat-pots, filled them with potting soil, and planted seeds. Watered each little section, and put the top on to keep the moisture in. Here's what I started:
-english lavender (perennial)
-common chives (perennial)
-genovese basil (annual)
-soapwort (perennial)
-giant of italy parsley (biennial)
-bouquet dill (annual)
-green culinary sage (perennial)
-wormwood (perennial)
-gumplant (perennial)
-evening primrose (biennial)

Some take a couple of weeks to germinate and some shorter. Hope I can plant them outside by the end of June.

I have lots more herb seeds to start but I think I'm gonna hold off. I'll start them later and grow them inside until Spring planting in 2011.

Really hate being behind. Feel like I have a million things to do and no time or energy or money to do them.

Still haven't finished unpacking, or painting, or even putting up curtains. My front room is so full of boxes that I can't even get to the windows to open for a cross-breeze. Since my hands don't grip, I can't wield the drill so working on the goat house or chicken coops is out (by myself... I can help Hubby). And now we've decided that the workshop is too hot for the quail and rabbit, and the garage won't work either once we move the boxes out and start parking in there, so we're going to create a wall-unit in the basement's family room for rabbits and quail.... yet another thing to build. Most of our 2 acres got mowed last weekend but there's thigh-high weeds in our fenced-in backyard where I had planned to put the garden. We still have lots more trees to plant, and even more fruit bushes and trees coming within the next week. I have lots of pumpkin and winter squash seedlings that need to go into the ground, and tomato and marigold plants that are getting very leggy.

Yesterday was supposed to be the "coldest" day here for the next week or so ... in the 80's. No rain here in a while, so need to water very regularly. Hope our tree sticks survive. Should have mulched with hay but we didn't have enough. Almost out and need to get more for our critters. At least I put hay on the broccoli and cabbage plants, and the potatoes.

On the goat-house front, Hubby got home too late from work (his Mom needed him to stop by on the way home) so we didn't get really anything done last night. Still hoping to finish by weekend but we'll see!

= = =

Update on the former owner of this property: in the mail yesterday, we received a copy of the letter Hubby's lawyer sent to the former owner, demanding that since he broke the law by lying on the disclosure form to sell this property, that he must reveal to us the contents and depth of the trash pile he dug at the bottom of this property. It was very strongly worded, citing legal cases where non-disclosure cost the seller bucks for lying and then fees for disposal, etc. Since we got our copy yesterday, Mr. Lance should have received his copy at his employment yesterday.

We've received the tree-sticks that we bought to plant around the trash hole, but we'll plant on the outskirts, keeping in mind that we may need to get a backhoe to dig up the hole. Meanwhile, I think I'll scatter peppermint and spearmint seeds in the hole. We can't plant any edibles around there anyway ... might as well make it smell good!

3 comments:

DayPhoto said...

Our Colorado weather sure is tricky. We have gone from cold to blazing heat over here. Good luck with your garden.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Bellen said...

Since your two annual herbs really like hot weather, as long as they are in the ground by July 4th, they'll be fine.

The perennial & biennial herbs just need a good first growing season to get settled. Lavender prefers cool weather to start but shade should do the trick. All herbs, except annuals, should be picked just a little the first season - lots of picking after that. Parsley is the exception pick it as much as possible.

Dill self seeds readily so I'd choose a spot where I want it to stay. Personally I've found a 15-18" container perfect for keeping it under control.

Vee said...

Thanks Linda. You too!

Bellen: Thanks for the info. I plan to increase my use of dill since Hubby is Norweigan so I'll find a nice little corner for it and let it have its way!

The lavender ... we have almost NO shade here ... still planting trees. Will try to figure it out. Maybe to the north of corn and sunflowers?

Thanks so much.. Vikki