My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Planting Again

Because the microburst (tiny tornado) took away my pumpkins and other things that I'd planted and put out... we tried again.

Yesterday, the Kid and I planted more (ha!) bantam yellow corn and a few more spaghetti squash seeds in the dedicated section in the backyard. When they get about a foot tall, I'll add some pole beans to finish up the Three Sisters plot.

Also in the backyard, I did a different kind of Three Sisters ... I call it the Three Cousins for the lack of a better name: mammoth sunflowers, vining cucumbers, and melons. Same principle ... the sunflowers provide a stalk for the cucumbers to climb, and the melons provide ground cover and moisture barrier.

Then I realized that I had found a 1-pound bag of old (2007) blue hopi corn seeds that I should either broadcast or throw away. Guess which we did! There's a corner of our backyard filled with thigh-high weeds that the Kid and I just broadcast those corn seeds into. I'm hoping Hubby will use the string-trimmer to cut down the weeds before the corn shows up (if it does at all). Corn loses germination as it gets older.

Hubby brought home some (free) icing buckets from Sam's bakery. This weekend we'll poke some drainage holes on the sides at the bottom and along with my other pots/containers, plant with tomatoes, peppers, okra, and eggplant. Decided the southside of the workshop is the safest place for the garden until the windbreak is at least 10 feet tall! Good sun, wind protection, and not far from water source.

Checked on the popcorn/sunflower field and it's really growing. Sowed some amaranth there too but can't really tell if it's come up or not. Not sure what to look for. Will play by ear.

This is supposed to be a difficult weekend. Very cold temperatures and lots of rain. Possibly snow. Yes, you read right. Snow. Well, at least my plants will get a good drink.

Right?

We slept in today, then we'll go to the workshop to work on planting tomatoes (and their companions ... basil, parsley and marigold) in pots to get ready to put outside next week. Might also build a chicken tractor, build another "dog run" goathouse inside the workshop, pick up our milking doe on Sunday, and might even clean! Or we might do the bare minimum, and take naps.

Fun fun.

1 comment:

Trashdigger said...

http://simple-green-frugal-co-op.blogspot.com/2010/06/growing-food-for-livestock.html