My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Goat House Monstrosity

Remind me to never design anything again. I really have no talent, and what I had pictured in my mind's eye is absolutely NOT what is sitting in my back yard. Especially since it didn't get nearly done before the storm hit yesterday. It's not outdoor plywood and it's not covered so I'm really hoping that the rain that pounded for hours last night and the snow it turned into won't make the plywood fall apart. The enclosed part is 4x16 which seems small but once the roof got put on, it was quite cozy and shut out a lot of the wind. Get it waterproof and maybe even insulated with styrofoam, plus a couple of small bales of hay in there and the goaties will be quite snug in the 3-walled "room". It looks horrible from the outside, tho.

I took pictures of the work in progress but when I tried to take one this morning, the ice and snow on the window barred me. I'll add pictures later if I can.

Meanwhile, I hope all the critters survived the sudden bitter cold. The Kid and I will go check them in a little bit. There's no heat out there but all should have come through ok. Hope the goaties didn't knock over their water again.

The laying hen gave us another egg yesterday afternoon ... light blue/green. Boy, she sure does raise the roof when she lays! Never heard such caterwauling in my light! Thought the goats were being killed, rushed out with the Kid and found the goaties snuggled in the back of their pen, trying to stay warm and sleep. Chicken, however, looked quite proud of herself, after laying the egg on the floor. Er, yeah, the floor. Not any of the nesting boxes provided!

I'm working on stuff today for this weekend's farmers market. Have a new friend who's helping with the things my hands won't do.

Busy busy!

= = = =

Please plant a nut or fruit tree today.

No comments: