My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

We have baby chicks!

I called the feed store at around 10:15 (today... Friday) and finally heard the words I needed: They are here! The Kid and I scrambled around, getting the goaties put back in their indoor pen (more snow and rain expected today), getting outdoor clothes on, grabbing the camera and grocery list.

Headed to Wally World first because I needed a nail gun, batteries and a few other essentials. Then off to the feed store. The first picture is the Kid entering the store after me. The baby chicks are on the right in that shelving set up. They had several kinds, but almost all were sold out. Thought about getting some Buff Orpington's too but they were all gone already. Hmmm... later.

While I paid, the Kid examined them (second picture). Peep peep!

Other than seeing pictures and movies and online videos, I had never seen a baby chick before. Not really. And certainly had never held one.

Third picture ... aren't they cute? Are they warm enough? Getting enough food and water? Getting picked on or being a bully? Getting a "pasty butt"?

Here's where I started to get nervous. Do I even know how to clean off a chicks behind? If I can't do it, then the chick could die. And back home, I don't have a thermometer near the set up so what if I don't guess at the correct temp?

Picture 4: Eric, the store person, got out a small box, placed some pine shavings in it, and started with the Araucana (Easter Egger) chicks. Five of those.

Next level down were the Black Australorp. Five of those.

Picture 5: Here they are ... all 10 baby day-old chicks. The Kid carried the box to the counter where Eric taped it kinda closed. Cost me about $26. Already had the food, feeders, waterers, chick grit (but they don't need that right away, right).

We left and hurried home. They went into the house first (wind was really blowing ... storm coming). The box sat on a chair while we emptied out the rest of the car. Came in, unloaded the groceries, etc, and I finished preparing their cages.... water in the waterer, food in the feeder.

Gently placed them in the cages ... one for australorp and one for easter egger. That lasted about 3 minutes. Once an easter egger discovered how to slip through the cage, the rest followed. We ended up placing all of them together in a box. Just for now.

Watch our video:


p.s. They are really stinking up my house.... can even smell it down to the basement! As soon as it warms up and we get out of this snow thing... they are GOING TO THE GARAGE!

No comments: