My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Sunday Evening Came Fast

Well, here it is, 7:18 p.m. on Sunday evening, and we still haven't started our taxes or finished painting the guest suite. But we did...

-get a 5x8 trailer full of pallets (for goat and chicken pen building)
-found a 4-compartment rabbit hutch that we will pick up next weekend
-took a walk around the neighborhood and found lots of dogs, goats and chickens
-bought 3 rabbit carriers that will work well as quail pens
-bought 2 kerosene lanterns ($2 each) at the same garage sale
-almost bought a duckling just because they are so cute
-met our next door neighbors (with the alpacas) - wonderful people!
-took mom-in-law out for Easter Linner (lunch/dinner)
-bought an intercom system for house (so we won't need to stomp!)
-figured out where to put our fence but still need to mark it
-saw how two different families keep their chickens and goats
-saw how two different families keep their alpacas
-discovered feed stores push Purina even tho I said "no purina goat food"!

...and last but certainly not least, discovered that the wind blows here ALL the time and we better get used to dirt in our mouths and eyes. Pulled so much sand out of my eyes this morning, I could have slept in a sandbox! Gonna have to make sure we plant the windbreaks immediately.

HOWEVER.... Remember how I started a flat of seeds on March 31? Wednesday? Saturday morning (Apr 3) I peeked at the flat and couldn't believe it! Some had sprouted... 2 lettuce, 1 broccoli, and a marigold. This morning (Apr 4) I peeked again, and even more had sprouted... several lettuce (2 kinds), cabbage, broccoli, and more marigolds! I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR!

I'll take a pic of the flat of seeds tomorrow. I'm thinking... I might sell lettuce and herb seedlings through craigslist. I have so many seeds and can't possibly use them all. Hmmm... maybe we can actually earn enough to get the greenhouse built before Autumn.

No comments: