My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Hutch, Pallets and Pine Tar

I had a migraine all day and it wasn't pretty, but sometimes, one needs to just push through adversity. We donned old clothes and carried coats to the car, taking the long drive to pick up a 6x12 u-haul trailer. Then another long drive to where the rabbit hutch was.

It didn't fit.

Unbelievable. I got the biggest u-haul I could get, and that stupid rabbit hutch still didn't fit. The guy suggested getting a flatbed and coming back later with it, so I gave him $20 to hold it, and we went one street over to the lady's house that gave us a bunch of free pallets last weekend and again yesterday. LOTS. All free. Even a medicine cabinet, a second plain cabinet and a double-sink. (Sold her house and is moving at the end of the month.) Very nice lady. Gave us a great idea for how to do the dog-house so that wind doesn't get it. She even dialed the number to a closer u-haul about renting a flatbed trailer and a truck to pull it. Was going to cost another $150 or so just to get the $50 4-compartment rabbit hutch to our place. That turns the great deal into a horrible deal. We decided it wasn't worth it; that we can wait another few months to get our angora rabbit a boyfriend.

After loading the 6x12 u-haul trailer and our car to the hilt, we went back to the rabbit hutch man. Boy he was upset. He didn't understand why we wouldn't go through the extra trouble and expense for the great deal. I can understand. I mean, we did say we'd take it so if he had any calls about it during the week, he said it was taken. Someone else could have taken it. I don't begrudge him, but we just couldn't do it. It wasn't feasible.

Came home, rested for about an hour, and unloaded the 6x12 trailer. We now have enough pallets and wood to build the goat pen and another chicken coop. Then while the Kid rode his bike down our driveway and around, Hubby and I walked our property, looking at the trees and such. The russian olive trees have nice thorns on them ... hmmm... might keep them just because of that! We have three pine trees, one of one kind and a third of a different kind. One pinecone I found had a little seed in it (have no idea what kind) and lots of sticky tar on it. Took a lot of effort and hot water with soap to get it off.

Wonder ... can we use that pine tar to make glue? Or distill into essential oil? Gonna give it some thought.

The quail gave up another egg today ... that's 6 eggs in 10 days. Gave the bunny a quarter of an apple, some more hay, and came inside to fix me something to eat. Early to bed. We were all exhausted, and I hadn't really slept well the night before. Migraine and all.

Today we return the u-haul and get our taxes done. Probably hit the store because the Kid can't find his mouse pad and I need steering fluid in my very old car that leaks everything from everywhere. (We need to find me a pick-up truck in the next month or so). After we get home, we might move some boxes around.

Have a great day, all!

No comments: