My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Health vs Harvest

You may wonder why I look for short-cuts in gardening and so forth when we have this big ole 2 acres at our new home.

If you've read my blog(s) for any length of time, you know I'm disabled, and really lacking energy. Even yesterday and today, my hands have been so swollen, really painful and won't work. I'm trying to rectify my many health problems, but much I can't do anything about. I'm usually up by 4:30 a.m. with Hubby on weekdays (might go back to bed tho), and on weekends, up by 6 or 7 or 8 a.m. By the early afternoon, if I've had a good day, my energy is gone and I'm done completely. If I had a bad day (migraine, swollen hands, etc), then I don't get anything at all done.

Thus, my need to find easy ways to garden, take care of the house and livestock, school the Kid, and enjoy our critters.

That's why... even tho we have 2 acres to plant here, most of the acreage will be for perennials like fruit and nut trees/bushes/brambles and herbs like lilacs and lavender. That "trash dump area" will get trees just for beauty. The fenced-in "dog run" that measures about 56x87 will suffice just fine for our vegetable garden and livestock housing because it's close to get to. As for the large patches of (1) corn/beans/squash, (2) sunflowers/-cucumber/-watermelon, and (3) amaranth.... here's where I'm hoping I can get the help of Hubby and the Kid to do the hard work. And as for preserving the harvests, I freeze or dehydrate most of our surplus, and Hubby helps with that.

I'm hoping having healthy produce at our fingertips will reduce some of my symptoms. AND I'm hoping to teach the Kid how to make yogurt once we have the milking goat(s) producing! After all.... between him and Hubby, we'll need at least 2 a day! Hmmm... wonder if the Kid can "help" me make the cheese too?! I **know** he'll help with the ice cream!

Just wanted to explain.

= = = =

Had a good birthday. Played with the goats and got lots of answers to my goat and chicken questions from my goat/chicken neighbor lady who came over to see our new baby goats. Cleaned a little (the Kid helped in between schoolwork assignments) and organized the few clothes I can find (need some summer clothes because I can't find that box!). Didn't get much of anything else done. Made some lentil veggie soup in one crockpot (way too many lentils!), and rice in the other. MIL came over when I was in the shower, then helped me move the goaties from the outdoor pen to the indoor pen (late afternoon). Put some bread to make in the bread-machine, then we sat down with decaf iced green tea and chatted till Hubby came home. Dinner, cake (chocolate!) then gifts! The Kid got me a "mom" heart ring and Hubby got me heart earrings. Very sweet.

= = = =

Please plant a nut or fruit tree today.

No comments: