My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

SPIN Farming

I followed a link recently (fruit farming in a two acre land blogspot), and it mentioned something called SPIN farming. What the hairy heck? So I googled it, and came across www.spinfarming.com. Very interesting. Stands for Small Plot Intensive ... basically, how to do more with less land. Although their website is geared towards growing for profit (which is all fine; we'll probably sell off excess), it can definitely be a good way of thinking for those growing to put away enough for non-growing seasons.

However, it is based on an Summer growing season with 40+hours per week spread out 7 days a week, reducing to 30-35 hours per week during off seasons. Can be much more or even less depending on how much land you have, how much you plant, what you intend to grow, etc.

Personally? I want to work semi-hard (remember, I'm disabled) in our short Summer here in the Rocky Mountains and reduce it quite a lot for off-seasons. That means having a lot of perennials (like trees, bushes, brambles and vines, plus asparagus, rhubarb and herbs).

See? I'm already getting off target. So... has anyone else heard about SPIN farming? If so, have you tried it? Success or not?

I'm thinking this SPIN Farming is basically the same thing as other intensive-type growing methods, like Square Foot. I like what I came up with a couple of years ago: Backyard Grocery Gardening. Our 2 little acres seems like a lot when compared to the quarter acre we had at our last place, but still, we grow so much, including corn, pumpkins and watermelon. This 2 acres will allow us to have some fruit and nut trees, with plenty of space left over for "intensive" growing. We'll once again have a Backyard Grocery! Need beans? No problem... what kind? Want an apple for lunch? Go pick it. Salad and strawberries under the netting and cold frame. Milk the goat in the morning for cheese in the afternoon. Yum!

While I think that SPIN Farming might be a good idea, I think I'll stick with what I know. For now. And walk you through what I do... as I do it.

Maybe we'll learn from each other.

No comments: