My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Hot dogs in corn tortillas

I didn't feel much like preparing anything fancy yesterday. Nope, not even the crockpot! So after we dropped off my car at the repair shop yesterday, we headed home, and I took out hot dogs from the fridge. THREE packages: the Kid gets organic nitrite-free. I get turkey dogs. Hubby gets plain ole regular cheapo from Sam's. We didn't have buns for Hubby so I improvised. We used corn tortillas.

First, I boiled the Kid's 4 hot dogs because I didn't want the nitrites from the other dogs in the boiling water. About 3 minutes before they were cooked, I heated 4 corn tortillas in the oven to soften them. The Kid spread ketchup on each tortillas and rolled up each dog. Paired with zucchini and carrots, it filled him up.

Then I boiled Hubby's 4 dogs plus another 4 for his lunch today. Same thing: I heated the corn tortillas in the oven to soften so they wouldn't break while rolling. Adding ketchup to his, he rolled up his 4, and with zucchini and potato salad (that I'd made earlier in the day), he felt quite full too.

On to me. Same basically, but I melted cheese on my tortillas, and added mayo and spicy brown mustard before rolling. I meant to add chopped onions but forgot about them until my last bite! I also had potato salad because, well, I love my potato salad!

I think I'll have some now.

Anyway, the point of this post is that "necessity is the mother of invention". Didn't need to buy hot dog buns for Hubby then buy gluten-free buns for the Kid and I. Plus it's a lot cheaper (we buy tortillas in bulk at Sam's.)

On the menu tonight is turkey egg cups! Hopefully I'll remember to take a pic before we gobble them down.

No comments: