My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Mexican XTop Winter Squash

This is a pic taken Oct 7 2008, the Kid, holding a Mexican X-Top Winter Squash and a giant sunflower head we ate after the picture was taken. Ain't the Kid cute!

I grew this with great success last year (or was it 2008?). It's a cushaw squash, with wonderful white/yellow flesh and papery seeds good for eating. The company I bought seeds from, and was lucky enough to get again this year, has stopped carrying them. The seed packet doesn't have the genus on it. And now I can't find these seeds anywhere else online.

My question is: is it a Cucurbita mixta like other cushaw squashes? I want to make sure that I don't cross pollinate. If anyone knows, please let ME know!
This second picture I took during Summer 2008 of the leaf of this squash. At first we thought it was the mold squash leaves can get when they get a little too wet, but we realized that there was a pattern, and fruit began to form. This were a wonderful squash to grow! The vines, where they met the ground, often put down more roots, and provided more nutrients where they did so. Each vine put forth several fruits. I didn't weight them, and probably should have because as you can see from the top pic, they got pretty big. Stored a couple of months in our cool basement, but I wouldn't go longer than that.

Thanks... Vikki

No comments: