My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Foods I plan to eat more of...

I read this article about foods to eat/drink to lose weight and get healthy, yesterday on yahoo, and most of it is ridiculous, but it got me thinking. I looked at the list (which included coffee!!), and picked some that I plan to incorporate in my health plan:

- grapefruit (1/2, 3 times a day)
- apple (1 a day)
- eggs (?)
- beans (1/2 cup 3/4 times a week)
- salmon (my doc says 1000 gms fish oil/day)
- full-fat milk (I'll do goat, thank you!)

Are these self-sufficient foods? Well, as soon as we get settled and get our huge (ok, big) greenhouse built, we'll buy miniature citrus fruit trees, miniature avocado trees, and keep "summer" veggies and fruits growing year-round. So, yes for the grapefruit, although we can do without if we need to. Yes to the apples because they can grow outside here and I've done it before. Eggs? Absolutely - chickens and quail. Beans? Yes, already grew and ate and love the process. Salmon? Yuck but I'll eat more fish and we're planning on having a tilapia tank when we can. As to the full-fat milk, well, we can hardly wait until we have our goats, and the ones we chose have a high fat content. So can we do these as self-reliant homesteaders? Yes!

= = = =

When I weighed at the doc's office yesterday, according to their scale, I had lost 5 pounds since Dec 31. That's in 6 days! I think I'm on the right path, with this cutting-out gluten, don't you?

Unfortunately, yesterday was a horrible day. I got up after a second night of NO sleeping pills (that's good, right?!?), got a few things done, and left for my dental appointment with Kid and his schoolwork in tow. I hate going to the dentist. My mouth is sooo sensitive. It took 6-7 doses of numbing agent (read: syringe/needle) to be able to work on my teeth. That caused a major panic attack (yes, mine) and such a crying jag that I begged the dentist and his assistant to make sure my Kid (out in the waiting room) wouldn't see. Heart didn't stop racing till well into the evening. But I couldn't pass out when I left the dentist... had more stuff to do.

I stopped by Vitamin Cottage (health food store) and picked up some fav GF bread they held for us, and some GF hamburger rolls (for my lunch today) and some GF cinnamon rolls (for the Kid). Then we went into Target where I got one of those cup-mixer-twisty-thingies for my dinner last night. Then on the way home, I stopped by Grease Monkey to get replacement windshield wipers (mine were broken and we got snow yesterday). Home to take a 30 minute nap, then the "woman doctor" who was a man. He checked my hormones, my breast lump (gone!), a few other things, and sent me down for bloodwork. Then home, and I passed out until Hubby got home.

Eventually, after not eating since breakfast (a banana with some peanut butter), around 7 p.m., I made myself a couple of fried eggs, and a smoothie in the twisty-cup-thingy (banana, blackberry, blueberry, goat yogurt, and hemp protein). I took my blood pressure pill (was through the roof due to the injections at the dentist's), my stomach-acid pill, and 2 pain killers. Then TV and bed. No sleeping pill again. Three days.

I'm expecting today to be better. My mouth, face and jaw feel a little better, so that's a start, right?

= = = =

How can a self-reliant person get around NOT going to the dentist? Take better care of their teeth? Learn do-it-yourself dentistry?

4 comments:

Really Rosiem said...

Wow, what a day you had!

I think I need one of those twisty-cup-thingies. I have a hard time getting enough protein in my diet so like to make protein smoothies for breakfast. Only problem, I recently broke both of my single-serving size containers (it was a bad day!) for my fancy blender and I can't seem to justify getting out the double-sized, HUGE blender container just to make one cupfull of thick smoothie mixture . . .

Please do tell, what exactly is that twisty-cup-thingy that I can buy at Target??

Vee said...

Rose: The box says: Brand: Bella Cucina Artful Food, Item: 17 piece Rocket Blending Set. Was $29.99. Has: power base, 2 dif blades, 2 blending cups, 4 lids, 4 drinking cups with screw-on lids. Made a great smoothie! I'm planning to use it to make puree to dehydrate fruit roll-up-thingies in the Summer. Be sure to read my post today, about the house! Vikki

DayPhoto said...

YEAH on your new house! It's all coming together for you!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Melonie said...

There's a book about dentistry for self-reliant folks, I think it's called "Where There's No Dentist" (or When, or something like that). I don't have a copy but I've seen it recommended a lot. They also have a doctor one, and a doctor one specifically for women - I assume it covers gynecological concerns and childbirth? You might check SurvivalBlog.com and do a search there on "dentist" - I'm 90% sure that's where I saw it suggested.

I'm hoping for a big greenhouse when we settle as well. Living in a subtropical area for the first time I've started to experiment with things like papaya and banana trees in containers - I'm hoping I can learn what they need so that when I am "greenhousing" it back in the States I can keep them alive. ;-)