My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Winter Indoor Container Gardening

I had a great indoor garden last year: wonderberries, green beans, carrots, and tomatoes well into March. This year... well... we're in a different space. We're watching our pennies so our thermostat is set at 52 degrees F. I know, most people think that's cold, but for us, it's ok. But my plants are very ticked off at me! The banana plant is ok because it's in the patio window getting regular sun. The stevia, aloe and strawberries are kinda ok because they are in the bathroom with the grow lights but they aren't extremely thrilled. The tomato, beans, blueberry and a few others died, not just from the cold but also because SOMEBODY brought in bugs that munched on them.



So last week I threw some potting soil in pots I used last year in our portable garden, and threw in some seeds for beans, peas and cucumber. The peas and beans have sprouted (which I would take a pic of IF I could find my camera!). Another day or two for the cucumber. I think I'll also dig out another pot or 2 or 3 and plant some carrots and bunching onions and maybe some greens. Maybe a couple of radishes since those take only 4-6 weeks from seed to harvest.



We better find our homestead quickly! And it better have a sunroom on the entire south side, or else that's the first thing I'm adding! I love fresh veggies and fruit in the Winter.



Ok, so I keep it "too cold" in my home for some of these plants. Hmmm.... paying a high heat bill and having fresh veggies OR being able to afford the utilities but not having fresh veggies.



Tough question in this economy.


Vikki

No comments: