My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Recipe: Cumin Chili

Finally got around to posting pic 12/31/09 - doesn't it look yummy!

The temp last night when Hubby came home from work was 2 degrees F. Brrrr... yes, cold. Glad I had made this! It was hot and satisfying and a great evening meal.

So... I tried cooking with cumin for the first time. Interesting. Very smoky strong smell, and added something else (I guess, another "layer of texture") to the chili. Here's what I did:

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
salt/pepper to taste
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 can beans, drained (your choice what kind)
tiny pinch red chili pepper flakes
1 tablespoon dried bell pepper
1 tablespoon dried garlic granules or flakes
3 cans diced tomatoes, with liquid
3 cans water
2 cups pasta (I use macaroni, ziti or broken spaghetti)

Directions:
In a large stew-pot, brown ground beef and drain. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil plus the diced onion. Cook until translucent. Add salt/pepper (but I don't cuz I no likey!), chili powder, cumin, beans, and red pepper flakes. Cook for a few minutes, then add the canned tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic, and water. Simmer on low for 30-45 minutes. About 10 minutes before serving, add the pasta to cook.

I'm from KY, and grew up with pasta in my chili. I know, most people think that's horrible, and even worse ... I use ground beef instead of stew meat. However, this is basically the recipe I've used for years (except for adding the cumin and red pepper flakes) so this is what I like and what Hubby has gotten used to.

Note: I also added about 2 tablespoons of dried soup vegetables. They don't change the taste of the chili, but I like knowing I've added extra vitamins and minerals to my dinner. You, of course, don't have to.

Serve the chili with sour cream, grated cheese and saltines to crumble. Tobasco on the side. Maybe chopped onions and/or scallions. Yummm!

Made 7 servings.

Leftovers:
Sometimes I cook the pasta separately - regular for Hubby and gluten-free for me. When I do that, here's what I do with the leftovers: I fill up the large section of a 2-compartment plastic container, and add corn chips in the smaller section - good satisfying lunch for Hubby. Sometimes we spoon leftover chili in a taco shell, and sometimes, it's delicious in an omelet.

Personally, I had a container of chili for breakfast this morning!

No comments: