My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Dried Mixed Soup Veggies

For those of you who followed me from my blog at http://www.survival-cooking.com/, you know I'm a big user of dried soup vegetables. When I don't grow them, I buy all I can find at Vitamin Cottage, in their bulk herb aisle.

Contents in the purchased baggies of Soup Vegetables: carrots, onions, potatoes, peas, tomatoes, celery flakes, bell peppers, green beans, parsley. I often buy separate bulk baggies of: bell peppers, carrots, onions, garlic, spinach flakes and parsley flakes.

When I'm lucky enough to have a good tomato harvest and other veggies, I dry them all separately, place in baggies and then in canning jars, and label well. Some soups get more carrots and some get more tomatoes. I even added some to the meatloaf the other night! Wow... I love how the teeny tiny 1/2-inch dried green beans reconstitute to almost 2-inches long!

Here's a little tip I gave over at the other blog: when I'm trying to get a few more veggies into my Kid, I take some dried veggies, and crush them into a powder. Then I can add it to his pizza sauce to help him get more nutrients, and since he loves pizza sauce on his gluten-free bread with turkey pepperoni and grated cheese, he never knows.

Ssshhh!!

No comments: