My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

FRUSTRATION AND LACK OF FINANCES

I'm really sorry to do this, but I need to suspend (possibly even cancel) my chicken breeding project. Many reasons:

(1) quality of stock I got from Cackle Hatchery is poor. I have another of their bantam eggers dying, and two have crossed beaks .. no clue how they are still alive.

(2) don't have the time or money or energy to build the 4 separate chicken coops needed to track who breeds with who

(3) not getting any help from family with chores or much of anything else and I'm exhausted and severely frustrated that I have to beg for help from family for basic day-to-day chores

(4) enough on my plate with dealing with my Kid's diagnoses and upcoming therapies ... autism, adhd, ocd, math dysfunction and much more

(5) goats keep escaping and I just can't deal any more with them slipping out and eating the chicken food, my garden boxes, my garden ... no more! We're getting rid of them as soon as I can talk Hubby into it AND as soon as they have enough kids to cover the expenses we've already put forth.

(6) did I mention the money? Thought we had signed up for the cafeteria plan thru Hubby's work but "somebody" didn't do something and needless to say, I'm really ticked that I'm not going to be reimbursed for the TON of money I've already spent this year on doctors' appointments. No... ticked doesn't even begin to describe how I feel.

Trust me ... NO ONE wants to be near me right now. Except for my Kid who for some reason is being extra nice to me right now. Probably because I'm incredibly close to tears.

Anyhoo...

I'll still keep the birds I have. I'll put all of the bantam survivors (17? 18?) in a pen that is already built. First, from that pen, I'll move the current chickens elsewhere (possibly the goat pen), give it a good cleaning, and see what I can do to make it bantam-chicken safe. Move them and let the roosters fight it out and let them cross-breed however. If someone goes broody, fine. I just won't be able to track it.

We'll sell most all chicks that hatch, keeping only enough chickens to provide eggs for us, mom-in-law, and any eggs we can actually sell.

I'm really disappointed. I really wanted to work this project to create a cross-breed of small chicken that goes broody and lays colored eggs ... but gotta admit that not having to build more chicken coops right now is a weight lifted. Can't handle any more burdens.

So, again, sorry.

I quit.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vikki.... I am so sorry to hear of your frustration. FWIW... you are not alone. I have a son that is dyslexic and dysgraphic. He can't seem to understand the concept of working together or working as a family. I feel your pain and know. As mothers we are always last to get what we need and want. But things change and so does the family and situational dynamic. This too shall pass my seem like an empty promise but eventually things will swing back around. Call them chicken people and scream at them and tell them that we are VERY disappointed as readers of your blog.... as we too would have ordered our chickens from them after your expirment. I am truly sorry for your frustrations and wish you the best. Patricia in Texas

Vee said...

Patricia: Thank you so much. I appreciate your support. Hope to get back to it some day... and hoping I'll have the patience and wisdom to get through this situation now. Thanks again. V

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, you are a survivor and a fighter. I believe in you.

Vee said...

Anon: Thank you SO much! Very sweet and a much-needed-to-hear/read thought.

V

Lanie said...

I think anybody would be frustrated with what you've been through in the last several months. And without support . . . things are just unbearable sometimes. At least you have support from your online friends, even if we can't come over and help you put up pens, etc. We still know you're a lovable and worthy person. Hang in there Vee!

And remember - it's not a failure unless you don't learn from it. There may be a time in the future when you are ready to try again, maybe with a more reputable supplier things would be different. What a hassle to have wasted funds on poor chickies that don't have much of a chance. :(

stella said...

Will say a prayer for you an the family. I can relate to the no help part. Sometimes its almost like if mom dont function their whole world would really fall apart. I have those days too. If im not here to say do this or that, nothing gets done. (((hugs))) there will be better days. as the old sayin goes, the hotter the fire the stronger the steel. Hang in there.