My current home doesn't have a verandah or even a porch but I dream of owning a little farmette again, with a verandah overlooking chickens, goats and gardens. Absolute heaven!

Sold a Goat

We've been having great difficulty with one of our goats, so this past week, when someone casually mentioned they wanted a goat, I said ... please, take mine! Haggled, and now this goat is now sold and gone and we are so glad because she did SOOOO much damage to the pen! We still have to fix the gate because she pushed it off the hinges.

Not sure if the other 2 girl goats we have left are pregnant. It's really hard to tell. Just in case they aren't, or even for later if they are now .. we needed a buck. So we've found another goat, a boy this time. We're going to travel to pick him up in a week or two, and he's going to be the sire of our next round of babies.

Gotta tell you... we REALLY miss the goat milk. Luckily I had put some in the freezer, but it's not enough to last more than another couple of weeks. But we're excited about having goat babies here in another few months.

PLUS, we are getting ready to have a LOT of baby chicks! Our black australorp rooster is doing his job so we have 17 eggs being incubated right now, with only possibly 7 being viable. Still, we're going to hatch lots more, especially once any of our hens go broody. Meanwhile, I've also ordered lots of other chicks so .. we're going to have lots of eggs (to eat, hatch, and sell) and the young roosters will be "culled" for "freezer camp" (go to the freezer to eat later).

As far as the garden, I'm placing my seed order next week, and will start the tomatoes as soon as I get the seeds. Heck, I have a few seeds left over from last year so maybe I'll get started on them Monday or Tuesday!

Today is very busy. It's my Hubby's 50th b-day, and we're throwing a party tomorrow. Lots to do.

Guess that's it for now.

Enjoy life .. it's meant to be LIVED!

1 comment:

Trashdigger said...

happy 50th to hubby. I turned 51 a few weeks ago.
glad to hear things are settlin down. Though goat meat is pretty tasty.. I been seriously thinkin of chickens come spring out here in the studio. and in the yard.. We got plenty of nice fat rabbits we keepin around also.

If this stuff hold we will be early planting the cold crops this year also like we did last season/